About The Recipe
Thai Fried Bananas (Kluay Kaek) are a common dessert in Thailand. They can be found at street vendors all throughout the country. The coconut batter, when fried, adds a crispy fragrant crust around the sweetness of the banana. Normally served out of a paper bag and eaten with a bamboo skewer, a great way to serve them at home is with ice cream. The blend of cold and hot is delicious!
- Serves: 8-10
- Preparation time: 15 minutes (with real coconut) five minutes (with coconut in a bag)
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Equipment and Utensils
- Wok or Deep Fryer
- Heavy Knife
- Food Processor (For real coconut)
- 6 bananas (yellow with a little green). The firmer the better.
- 1 cup Rice Flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Starch (or Corn Starch)
- 1 cup shredded Coconut
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tbs. Sesame Seeds
- 3/4 cup Water
- 4 cups Vegetable Oil for frying
Purchase Asian Ingredients for this Recipe Online Here.
- Mix all these ingredients into a large bowl.
- Baking Soda
- Sesame Seeds
- Add Water and mix well.
- Add shredded coconut.
- Fresh Coconut
- Break open Coconut
- Drain Milk
- Pry Coconut Meat from Shell
- Shred in Food Processor
- Mix the batter until thick.
- Turn on stove to high heat.
- Add Oil in the Wok or Deep Fryer.
- Dip each banana into the batter and coat thoroughly.
- Put the coated banana into the hot oil.
- Deep fry banana until it turns golden brown
- Turn bananas over when frying, about one minute each side to cook evenly
- Remove banana from oil, and drain on paper towel.
- The bananas come out of the fryer very hot, so let them cool a little before serving.
- A great way to eat them at home is to serve with ice cream.